Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Passion for Lye

Missions is all about FLEXIBILITY people. The ability to bend. HA. So for this week only, I've been put on a smaller team of girls that's working on the Passion for Lye Week. Here in England its like Spring Break this week, and several local churches in the town of Lye are working together in outreach. There's a men's event planned, a tea for the ladies, and a concert for the youth this Friday night. This week I'm working with Christ Church in Lye. Today we worked at their internet cafe...they provide coffee, tea and free internet to anyone who wants to drop in. We are supposed to go to the park and promote the week's events, but the rainy weather may keep us indoors.
The whole region is also gearing up for a little thing called the World Cup, maybe you've heard of it? I've already been invited to a game watching party next week when England plays the US!!!
Today I also got to make a giant English flag...from a giant sheet. LOL

Sunday the Lye team attended the youth service at Christ Church in Lye. The youth at this church are AMAZING. The service was entirely led by them. We sang songs, they did a skit, and the message was also brought by a guy about 17 years old. The theme this week for Passion is unity among the Body and the local churches.

Sunday afternoon Keith and his wife Ann who help run the internet cafe had us to their house for lunch. It was delicious! Afterwards they took us for a bit of hiking. We went on top of this HUGE hill where you could see all of the towns spread out. Gorgeous. (Clent Hills)

Sunday evening we attended service at a Salvation Army Church. I've never been to one before and it was fun! Mostly elderly people, but man those English can sing! They sing with ghusto and the songs were mostly old hymns that I recognized from when I was little. They also had a brass band! They had cute uniforms and everything.


So prayer requests for this week would be:
Pray for us as we try and promote these events. Pray that we find young people to invite to the concert Friday evening, and pray that God will use us to bless the Christ Church in Lye. There are members graciously feeding us all through out the week. One woman ran up to us Sunday night and was SO excited to have us over. She said...."No you can't go anywhere else before you come to my house and bless me!" She's supposed to be a good cook, and I for one am Stoked for some good cooking.

Also just throwing this out there....but OM Lifehope base where we are sleeping is in need of a NEW CD PLAYER. Desperately. Don't know if anyone can help with this but there it is!

Cheers!
Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment